Thursday, November 01, 2007

Tired, filthy, burnt, hungry and really rather happy -

I have begun a wrought iron course. There are many similarities between working wrought iron and knitting.

And for the first time I really understand negative space. It was a beautiful, ringing, 'aha!' moment.

I am also meta-learning. Every thing that happens I am observing myself and the others as learners and trying to apply it to how I could be better at teaching.

It is so lovely to be in a learning environment and not being the one responsible for it. At the same time, I can see that the strongest personalities have as much impact as the teacher on the class environment. So, is developing a good class dynamic that facilitates learning really just a crap shoot? Luck of the personalities draw?



















I bought some lovely, lovely things from two stores on etsy. This one is for me, the rest I will show later, say, after Christmas.

4 comments:

chocolatetrudi said...

Ooh! My beau would love to do a course like this? Where is it held?

Ceels said...

The course is through the CAE, it is a new short course that they offered. It was so popular that they are running two nights of it. It is held at the Astralyte studios in Collingwood. And, in spite of the fact it highlights my lack of hand/eye coordination and my difficulties in manipulating materials in a creative way, I am really loving it.

Unknown said...

where the hell are you finding time to do all this?

Ceels said...

Time? What time? Well, I stole a little bit from sleeping. I haven't seen anyone but colleagues and students since term started. I've barely knit. No reading. No TV. One movie in 4 weeks. And, um, oh, sleeping?