Thursday, January 03, 2008

Blissful holidays -

I took a stack of books home from the library, seeing as I'd have a decent amount of time to read over the break and no guilt that I should be doing marking.

These are the ones I have read so far:
Mad Dogs - Robert Muchamore
the latest in a long series of ripping good spy stories for boys.

Wildwood Dancing - Juliet Marillier
Cybele's Secret - Juliet Marillier
I borrowed these because a girl (13 or so) on ravelry said she really enjoyed them. They are, again, ripping good yarns that lean heavily on folklore and fairy tales and have a very Baba Yaga/ central europe flavour to them.

Regeneration - Pat Barker
Semi-true/semi-fictional account of Sigfried Sassoon and his doctor in WWI, there are two more books in the series but, as much as I loved this one, I couldn't read them one after the other. Great book, fascinating.

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
Sort of post-apocalypse. Ended in a different place than I expected, given the start. I felt like I should have spent time thinking and considering it before launching into the next book.

The Declaration - Gemma Malley
People have discovered the drug that allows immortality and children become illegal. A bit flat after Oryx and Crake. Found it a bit internally inconsistent and the pacing was off, but it was a nice idea and quite a good read.

The Gospel According to Larry - Janet Tashjian
Nice book, plausible, only took three hours to read.

feed - M. T. Anderson
The internet is connected to our brain in a live feed, we are always switched on, the government controls the flow of information - the blurb is wildly misleading - don't read it.

The White Tiger - Kylie Chan
Loved it, read it in the bath on New Year's Eve. I'm busting to read the rest in the series, I hope they are out already. There were a few annoying repetitive things, but on the whole, a really fun read.

I tidied up my flat today and threw out a wheely bin full of stuff. I am feeling much the better for it, and the place almost looks tidy/organised.

No comments: